EARTH ANGEL APPLICANT SUBMISSION – BMW
1. Name 3 or more environmental initiatives your company sponsored in 2007.
The BMW Group has committed itself to taking responsibility for environmental and climate protection in its own sphere of activity. Sustainable operation is an integral guiding principle in the company’s strategy and culture. In line with this, the BMW Group conforms to the ten principles of the Global Compact and the Cleaner Production Declaration of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). In addition, the company’s orientation is guided by the agreements of the International Labour Organisation (ILO), the OECD guidelines for multinational companies, and the Business Charter for Sustainable Development of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). Via the corporate communications department we are in a constant dialogue with numerous environmental initiatives and organisations. However, we do not sponsor them.
2. Name 3 or more environmental initiatives your company will support in 2008.
3. Name any awards your company has received for environmental progress in the past year.
- September, 06 2007: BMW Group was declared “Supersector Leader automobiles and parts” in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes for the third consecutive year.
- January, 14 2007: BMW plant Spartanburg/USA awarded “Energy Partner of the Year 2007”by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for its use of methane gas from a local landfill as energy supply for the plant.
- November, 11 2006: “Exzellenz Award 2006” of the European Foundation for Quality Management. The “Exzellenz Award” is given to companies who succeed in international competition with sustainable operation of business.
4. Name all vehicles that your company currently has in production that are hybrid, diesel, solar powered, flex-fuel, natural gas, ethanol, or any other alternative fuels.
Except for the M-series and the Rolls Royce motorcars all BMW Group models are already available with diesel engines in many markets. BMW Group will introduce its diesel engines in the US from the beginning of 2008.
5. Name all environmental organizations your company supports.
See answer No. 1.
6. In 100 words or less, what is your company position and mission on global warming?
The BMWGroup recognises clearly that it has a responsibility for climate protection. It supports the Kyoto Protocol and has already achieved considerable reductions in consumption in the past years through continuous efficiency measures. In 2000, the EfficientDynamics strategy of the BMW Group was created as an answer to global warming and the finite character of fossil fuel reserves. In the mid term we will achieve further reduction with hybrid solutions in our cars. In the long term we are working on the use of regenerated hydrogen in the combustion engine.